Net-Jam

No Game, No Life: A Brief Research Paper Featuring the Community of Net-Jam

Hey peeps,

So as some of you may or may not have heard, I've been interviewing people periodically over the last few weeks in order to collect data for a research paper I was writing. This is draft I am turning in, although I have a feeling it won't be the last draft I make of it. Anyways, it features some of you lovely community members, so feel free to peruse it and let me know what you guys think.

I apologize if I interviewed you and you don't have a quote in there somewhere, with more space I probably could have included a snippet from everyone.

Regards

Rattle

"Don't quote my quotes!" -Fruits

Very well written, Rattle. I enjoyed it very much. I also enjoyed reading everyone else's opinions about Net-Jam and its players. Gryphus_1, as much as we tease and make fun of you, you have truly done an amazing job rebuilding this great community back up to the state that it is in now.
Just to add to the start of your essay: it feels definitely more natural/genuine here.
"A popular stereotype attributed to gamers is that of the anti-social or socially awkward loner who refuses or cannot handle interactions with others." Here you're discussing the social aspect of gaming, though i would like to provide you few different views. First the addition of Teamspeak is a fantastic social aspect of having social contacts with the buddies you're gaming with which you would not experience so intense as without it. The second view is promoting the anti-social aspect of this sort of gaming. Ask my spouse and she will tell you i am anti-social as i spend 'too much' time on this game and not enough time with her! I have too admit looking at my kids i hardly see them as they spend a lot of time on their PC. Even while having dinner in the weekend with my son he has his laptop next to his plate and headphones on watching Youtube videos. Not very social is it? We force him sometimes not to do this, but in modern society what is right, what is wrong? So gamers to gamers yes it is social even more with Teamspeak as you have more interactive contact, but within family it asks for compromises.
I think you have written a very good piece and i encourage you to refine it even more and i am sure if you need more input from thid community here at Net-Jam you will have our cooperation, at least mine. I would also encourage you to read the article i uploaded very recently on the forum "Biology and Gaming: Why Women Don't Play Games" which i hope will help you to develope your essay even more. Best wishes, Terror
Nice additional insight Terror. Social dynamics have certainly changed especially with so many devices being so portable. I once had lunch with two business associates who had recently bought iphones. I sat with them for one hour as they learned how to use their phones and none of us engaged in conversation. I decided it was time to get an iphone!

Boards

Nice additional insight Terror. Portable devices have certainly changed social dynamics. I once sat for an hour having lunch with two business associates learning how to use their iphones. Not one word of conversation was spoken the entire time. I decided it was time to get an iphone, lol.

Boards

wrote:
No Game, No Life is also the name of a really good anime. Just wanted to let you know. :)

Where do you think I stole it from? :d Also, thank you for the input, Terror, I always appreciate different perspectives on things.

"Don't quote my quotes!" -Fruits

wrote:
Careful, violent imagery like that has been removed from the App Store. Because, you know, censorship.

G1

Gryphus, just because you can't feed your midget fetish through the app store, doesn't mean you can't get at it using the open web, using the latest web standards.

Tangentially, I thought THIS gift guide from Android Police was great. Look at the 3rd item down.
  • 2 months later...