Net-Jam

Call of Duty is doomed

You can tell by this new video that Actvision has relegated it to 13 year old, snot nosed, nerds...

What happened to the days where CoD was a respected franchise, taken seriously be those who play it and make it, and where it could be a real showcase of skill (like in Promod)...

We already knew this happened to consoles years ago. Case in point. I just keep finding myself wishing we could go back to the days where snot nosed brats knew their place in the food chain, and actually had to earn their respect, not just demand and expect it...

Maybe these glory days never existed, maybe I'm just remembering a fantasy world of ideals and the way things should be. But either way, it just makes me sad... </rant>

G1

""Don't quote my quotes!" - Fruits" - Rattle

shit gryphus. welcome to my world.i think i`m getting your point.mid life gamer crisis?,nah ,not yet. ,but the definition of respect has definately changed. however as you slow down ,the brats r still mostly young and dumb. every day i`m referred to as the old fart, but they still keep coming to ask how to do this or that. stay young upstairs and alls good.nik.
Don't blame the kids, blame Activision. Activision has been actively screwing over the Call of Duty franchise, starting with Modern Warfare 2, where the series REALLY started to go downhill. They're willingly cutting corners in order to get games out annually to maximize profits. You have to face the facts...little kids are a massive source of income for Call of Duty, and Activision isn't about to ignore that. They can't legally exploit them, but they can do so indirectly, as per this video.

It's not that bad that the newer Call of Duty games are being screwed. Activision can hardly screw over Call of Duty 4 as it stands, so we'll be fine here.

And for your issues with kids...again, don't blame the kids, blame the parents who don't raise their kids properly. If the issues with parents aren't solved, then the kids that we know now will later become the parents, and the cycle continues until eventually the world ends in 2012. LoL
Activision has always held the blame for going this direction. They simply got greedy. And after that whole IW debocle, it's hard to tell exactly who got greedy. I personally don't believe that corner cutting is the culprit for the drastic change in the way the new games play. The fundamental game-play and balance has changed, intentionally. After they realized what size of the market they were missing, they changed the very mechanics on the most subtle and basic level. Making it less "twitchy" and more "noob friendly". Everything else is just supplementing that. In my opinion.

Despite all this I still hold however, that the Modern Warfare franchise has some of the best single player experiences you will ever have.

Are you saying that you wouldn't love to move to a new game that's as good or better than CoD4? As much as I adore it, if there were a popper successor to CoD4, I know I would go for it. As I think most everyone here would as well...

As for the whole parent thing, I couldn't possibly agree more. Unless someone is wise enough to change his or her self, they are what they were raised to be. It also amazes me how many parents buy their 8 or 10 year old kids M rated games. I know my dad wouldn't let me get an M rated game until I was 14 or 15. Even then he always checked what it was rated for...

It is hard not to focus on the direct cause of your frustration though. :p

G1

No...I'm adamant it's the publisher. I've read too many stories and interviews with developers to believe otherwise. Developers are having to cut corners and cut out content they want to add due to deadlines set in place by money-hungry publishers, such as dedicated servers for MW2. WTF was that...seriously.

I'm honestly not a big fan of moving on to bigger and better newer games. I didn't even Starcraft II until just recently because I was reluctant to leave my comfort zone from Brood War, regardless of the stunning reviews it got.

You know what's funny is that I hate on parents, but my first game that I ever got, at the age of like 6, was Doom 2. I never turned into a crazy psychopath or anything (I think), but there it is :p My dad never cared for ratings, he just watched me whenever I played. I think he was checking to see my reaction...and when I beat the game he really stopped caring, lol.
You know... Right after I posted that I remembered that I did the exact same thing. XD Doom 1 or 2 followed by Ghost Recon or whatever that was back 01-02. So much for my memory. lol

G1

Fierce wrote:
No...I'm adamant it's the publisher. I've read too many stories and interviews with developers to believe otherwise. Developers are having to cut corners and cut out content they want to add due to deadlines set in place by money-hungry publishers, such as dedicated servers for MW2. WTF was that...seriously.

I'm honestly not a big fan of moving on to bigger and better newer games. I didn't even Starcraft II until just recently because I was reluctant to leave my comfort zone from Brood War, regardless of the stunning reviews it got.

You know what's funny is that I hate on parents, but my first game that I ever got, at the age of like 6, was Doom 2. I never turned into a crazy psychopath or anything (I think), but there it is :p My dad never cared for ratings, he just watched me whenever I played. I think he was checking to see my reaction...and when I beat the game he really stopped caring, lol.

I was pretty much the same here... It's because children are allowed to get away with blue murder these days... Parents don't want to discipline their children... If you don't want to do that, then don't have them... How simple is that...

Phalebus

“We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.” - Sovereign Mass Effect

• 2 weeks later...
The Call of Duty franchise has been dead since World at War. After Modern Warfare made the franchise big, Activision took it under their wing and milked it like a cow. The game went from a very respectable, fun FPS to an overrated eye-candy for wannabe gamers.

I just hope that the founders of CoD (West and Zampella) create another great game and don't let any contracts or publishers screw it over.

Lunar-1.png

I'm pretty sure Zampella already confirmed that they were not working on an FPS. And even then, it would be EA not Activision. I may not like Activision, but at least with their CoD Elite, they made an attractive, profitable, way to entice gamers without screwing the rest of us. Infact if I played the newer games I would subscribe to the service. All EA wants to do is punish us for buying used games.

G1

Even if they don't make a FPS I'm sure they can still come up with something genuinely fun. Then again, Call of Duty may have been a lucky streak for them. Besides, I'm sure there are contracts with Activision saying they won't make any competing games within x # of years after leaving the company. I know I have contracts with my company saying I won't compete within 6months after termination of my employment.

EA is just another publisher and therefore not much better than Activision. I just hope they play it smart and don't let the publishers screw them over like Activision did.

Lunar-1.png