Net-Jam

Cursing On The Server

The ban for cursing is silly and senseless. If a kid is playing a violent video game where they vicariously kill people then they can handle mature language. The argument "Women and Children play here too" is immature... Humorously calling Fierce a cunt shouldn't result in a nights ban.

-Dispair
Childish. Ill-mannered, inappropriate, immature, selfish, disrespectful of self and others. All good descriptions for people who use profanity. Profanity is helpful for people who are too ignorant to express themselves within the realm of decency and morality. Besides not being allowed on the server, it is against the net-jam mumble rules as well. There is a reason it is called BAD language, because it serves no good! Nothing wrong with opinions.
Sgt_JD wrote:
Childish. Ill-mannered, inappropriate, immature, selfish, disrespectful of self and others. All good descriptions for people who use profanity. Profanity is helpful for people who are too ignorant to express themselves within the realm of decency and morality. Besides not being allowed on the server, it is against the net-jam mumble rules as well. There is a reason it is called BAD language, because it serves no good! Nothing wrong with opinions.
i can understand that, but even people on mumble are like, "fuck" shit" etc, but they cant say it in game i totally agree with the saying mean stuff to other people, but saying it outloud because they messed up
Oh I see. So by your definition some of the most prolific people in history are childish, ill-mannered, inappropriate, immature, selfish and disrespectful of self and others? Let me list a few ignorant historical figures who meet your criteria. Winston Churchill, Ronald Reagan, Oscar Wilde, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, John. F. Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy, Bernard Montgomery, Gen. George S. Patton, Franklin Delano Roosevelt (Is famously recalled as being profane to the head of the DNC when Truman told him he didn't want to be the vice presidential nominee)... These are just a few historical figures that have been noted for using profanity. I will count myself amongst the "ignorant", for I am in good company. Words are only as powerful as you make them, obviously you give them quite a bit of power.
This is a hard subject to chime in on as people can easily argue their point in either direction.

Regardless this server is maintained by Net Jam and well... Rules are rules. and to be here we play by them. you don't have to agree with it but that's only for you to decide.

There are plenty of servers where language is not an issue and if that suits your style then by all means play there. to play here follow the rules. you choose to be on this server your not forced.

I for one enjoy playing with you Dispair and hope this can be worked out but in the end we enforce the rules of Net jam.

No more reason for this thread to go on, and I would ask it to be locked. Thats Steve-O's call.

Newb
It is a privately owned gaming server. The rules for mumble and the game are, no profanity. If you don't like the rules, then you should look for a place to play where profanity is welcomed, By the way, the majority of the people you listed, though historically significant, were very ill-mannered, often disrespectful of others, as per your description of FDR, innapropriate..... so the answer to your question is...... yes. If you are personally aspiring to be president or a similar important historical figure, I suggest you focus on, and try to emulate, attributes other than profanity. Try doing good rather than bad. You may lilke it.
Of course I will adhere to the rules, I enjoy the server and the people that play on it. However, your characterization of people that use profanity as bad is not even remotely close to accurate. I'm sorry you have such a close minded view of communication. That being said, now I have to pwn you even harder when I'm on :)
1) I wasn't the one that banned you for calling me a naughty word. That being said, I didn't really appreciate it, but I wasn't about to ban you for it.

2) This argument has long been said and done. The gist of the reasoning behind the no swearing? Who owns the server? Straw. Who sets the rules? Straw. Because Straw is the owner of this server, he can literally do whatever he wants. If he demands that we all make a bind praising him every time we connect, we'd have no choice but to comply, or to find a different server to play on. Simple as that.

No need to turn this into a philosophical argument, folks. There's no argument to be had.

Dispair, you've been warned many, many times for swearing on the server. Up to this point, you've really only gotten a slap on the wrist a few times whereas many other players have simply been kicked/temp banned and are now gone. Would I call it preferential treatment? Perhaps, but there's something to be said about people that are good sports. (Also, you weren't banned for a night, you were banned for 20 minutes.)

As much as I love ya Dispair, if worst comes to worst, I WILL put my job as an NJA before my own personal feelings. I'll do what's necessary if it comes to that. That's not intended as a threat, I'm just saying that your current standing as a regular on the server only entitles you to so much. At the end of the day, you're just another player on the server. All we're asking is that for as long as you stay on our server, play by our rules. If you don't like it, then there's plenty of other good servers out there.

This thread needs to be locked.
Just because we are old enough to use it doesn't mean we want to hear it and the use of such chatter in the forums is also breaking such rules.

Panties, with regards to mumble, the rules also applies there too and is being cleaned up and all those involved in such chatter agree that mumble, the forums and the server are better off without profanity no matter the common or harshness of it.

If players do not like the simple and effective rules we have are not forced to play here, they are more then welcome to leave and for those that do not like these rules and want to vote to change them and continue to use such chatter please feel free to also leave and don't forget to shut the door behind you or we will gladly help you if leaving is to hard a task for you.

NJ rules have been in place for a long time and work and that is where it ends.
Yes there is a few admins that are making an effort to clean up and will take a little more time, yet we are closer the expected considering NJA are world wide so the change is moving rather well, if you are on mumble and such chatter takes place just nicely point it out and soon this will be a thing of the past
I don't think it's necessary to release a list of curse words...just be politically correct at ALL times while on the server. Rule of thumb: If what you're about to say would offend anyone, even someone who gets offended by anything, don't say it.
Dispair,

Our rules are quite plain and not particularly difficult to follow... if you don't like them, as the others have said, there are other servers you can go and shout your little profanities on until you're blue in the face.

I mean. do you ever hear the US President coming out with "F... the terrorists, they're such a bunch of C....s, we should kill all of the B.....ds and the sooner the f...... better" No we don't because when he does speak his words would lose their resolve if he used this style of language.

The NJA's are all right on the money with their posts. You really don't understand what we're about so if it's ok with you, is it too much to ask for a little self control?

Anyway, thread locked as requested by Newbster......