Net-Jam

Do you think ping has anything to do with how well you play/skills?

Order of importance:

Player > FPS > Ping

Ping is certainly important, but so long as it's under 150, you shouldn't even notice (depending on you're your (Courtesy of 1800-SPELLFIERCELY) play style).

G1

""Don't quote my quotes!" - Fruits" - Rattle

Panties, big mistake. I'm afraid i cannot resist such a glorious chance to fight the injustice that surrounds ping:

Ping is a MASSIVE PART of the game. If I had a ping of 40, noobs like Fierce would have uninstalled by now. My Ping, being over 150, limits the extent to which I can exercise my superior and exhilarating playing style.

We have a few gents on the server who moan in mumble along the lines of ~(and I quote Fierce):

Omg my stats have dropped to 1800

"My ping has moved up from 21 to 28 I can no longer play".

Such a comment makes me shudder, even more than when JD uses an Acog Saw with DESERT CAMO (I mean, really, who uses that???!!!??).

Moral of the story: Move the server to London.

Wab

P.S: On a serious note, I agree with Godlike, however, if the ping is above 150 I think it becomes a much greater disadvantage. 150 and under, I agree has minimal changes imo.
Wabdin wrote:
Panties, big mistake. I'm afraid i cannot resist such a glorious chance to fight the injustice that surrounds ping:

Ping is a MASSIVE PART of the game. If I had a ping of 40, noobs like Fierce would have uninstalled by now. My Ping, being over 150, limits the extent to which I can exercise my superior and exhilarating playing style.

We have a few gents on the server who moan in mumble along the lines of ~(and I quote Fierce):

Omg my stats have dropped to 1800

"My ping has moved up from 21 to 28 I can no longer play".

Such a comment makes me shudder, even more than when JD uses an Acog Saw with DESERT CAMO (I mean, really, who uses that???!!!??).

Moral of the story: Move the server to London.

Wab

P.S: On a serious note, I agree with Godlike, however, if the ping is above 150 I think it becomes a much greater disadvantage. 150 and under, I agree has minimal changes imo.
not a mistake, this is what i was looking for :)
Think of it this way. Ping is measured in milliseconds, meaning it measures the time it takes for information to travel from your computer to the server as well as how long it takes for it to travel back. So if you have a ping of 100, it takes 200 milliseconds for any movements you make on your end to be registered on the server. Because of this, the difference between a player who averages 40 ping (like me) and a player who averages around 160 ping (like Wabdin here), is that anything I do will be registered in 80 milliseconds, while Wabdin's movements will be registered in 320 milliseconds. In other words, a difference of 240 milliseconds.

.240 seconds might not seem a lot, but I will the be the first person to admit that this gives me a huge advantage over Wabdin. There are times where we both turn a corner and I knife him in the face before his screen even registers that I'm there. While this is always hilarious for me, I can only imagine his frustration over being dominated by the superior player with the superior ping.

I'd say a fluctuation in ping makes a hell of a larger difference than a difference in FPS. CoD plays at around 60 FPS on consoles, while on PC I'm clocking around 200 FPS. Obviously, theres a difference there, but once you get above 100 FPS the difference becomes increasingly minimal. I'd say it's a case of diminishing returns.

Ping>Player>FPS imo.

On a side note, ping often doesn't become a factor in many fights because the key to playing well is how you approach engagements in the first place. I've handicapped myself recently by changing almost all of my classes to bolt action snipers, and I still manage to top the scoreboard almost every game. Why? Not because I'm amazing with the sniper/deagle, it's because I'm smart about where I go and where I look. Call me a hacker if you want, nothing will change that fact. You'll win a gunfight by shooting someone in the back when they're unaware of your presence 95% of the time, and playing to the strengths of your current weapon will win you gunfights 75% of the time.

There is a noticeable difference in ping for anything above 80. I disagree with all of you. Also: your*
(depending on you're play style). wrote:
Fierce wrote:

.240 seconds might not seem a lot, but I will the be the first person to admit that this gives me a huge advantage over Wabdin. There are times where we both turn a corner and I knife him in the face before his screen even registers that I'm there. While this is always hilarious for me, I can only imagine his frustration over being dominated by the superior player with the superior ping.

I LOL'd

Player > Ping > FPS

Having a better ping does not make you aim better thus player first

Newb
I revise my statement. Player > FPS up to 125 > Ping

Thanks for the correction there Fierce. I hope you don't mind being woken up in the wee hours, because you are now 1800-SPELLFIERCELY for all our grammatical and spelling needs.

Also Wab, when did I become Godlike?

G1

""Don't quote my quotes!" - Fruits" - Rattle

Steady aim makes aiming ability pretty moot imo. I could put on an LMG class with double tap and steady aim and walk around hip firing across the map and pull high scores. I stand by my statement :p

Gryphus, Wabdin was referring to your ability to aim, which we all know Godlike is so proficient at, especially with an M60 on Strike LOL
It goes Ping>Player>FPS. FPS seems extremely insignificant to me. Obviously the player matters, or at least their skills and how they play. Ping however is always a major factor. Go ask a soldier who has fought on the front lines how much a millisecond makes a difference, they'll probably tell you it could save your life. For example, i tend to get around 60 ping (i think) and Fierce gets 40. So Fierce can react .02 seconds faster than i can. The average human reaction time is probably about .2 seconds, so just the .02 seconds does in fact make a difference, even if our reaction speeds were exactly the same.
I agree with fierce's ping>player>fps model. Basically it comes down to who can see who first in the game and when you have lower ping you are ahead of the game. It would be awesome to have a NetJam LAN party with all of you!
Fierce wrote:
Steady aim makes aiming ability pretty moot imo. I could put on an LMG class with double tap and steady aim and walk around hip firing across the map and pull high scores. I stand by my statement :p

Gryphus, Wabdin was referring to your ability to aim, which we all know Godlike is so proficient at, especially with an M60 on Strike LOL
You make me cry sometimes...
Oomph...Try to play on 250~400 ping! Sometimes, I do feel bad for the players who are trying to shoot me because while I am watching the Kill Cam. I see myself skipping/teleporting all over the map. Of course...this is when I'm playing COD with a hotspot on. When I plug in the dsl cable line, the gaming experience is like 50 X better!

Don't quote my quotes!

Fierce wrote:
I've handicapped myself recently by changing almost all of my classes to bolt action snipers, and I still manage to top the scoreboard almost every game.

Wow ty so much lol

Steve-O, Phale and My self limit our selves to playing in Western Australia (240-260 ping avg) JUST so you guys don't rage quit, Ping is a helper and makes things flow well but u still need to be able to use it, so PING / player nothing else matters.
Fierce wrote:
Think of it this way. Ping is measured in milliseconds, meaning it measures the time it takes for information to travel from your computer to the server as well as how long it takes for it to travel back. So if you have a ping of 100, it takes 200 milliseconds for any movements you make on your end to be registered on the server. Because of this, the difference between a player who averages 40 ping (like me) and a player who averages around 160 ping (like Wabdin here), is that anything I do will be registered in 80 milliseconds, while Wabdin's movements will be registered in 320 milliseconds. In other words, a difference of 240 milliseconds.

I'd say a fluctuation in ping makes a hell of a larger difference than a difference in FPS. CoD plays at around 60 FPS on consoles, while on PC I'm clocking around 200 FPS. Obviously, theres a difference there, but once you get above 100 FPS the difference becomes increasingly minimal. I'd say it's a case of diminishing returns.

Ping>Player>FPS imo.

On a side note, ping often doesn't become a factor in many fights because the key to playing well is how you approach engagements in the first place. I've handicapped myself recently by changing almost all of my classes to bolt action snipers, and I still manage to top the scoreboard almost every game. Why? Not because I'm amazing with the sniper/deagle, it's because I'm smart about where I go and where I look. Call me a hacker if you want, nothing will change that fact. You'll win a gunfight by shooting someone in the back when they're unaware of your presence 95% of the time, and playing to the strengths of your current weapon will win you gunfights 75% of the time.

There is a noticeable difference in ping for anything above 80. I disagree with all of you. Also: your*
(depending on you're play style). wrote:

Here is a question about ping. My ping is in the high 20's, but when I go face to face with players with a ping over 200 I get owned. I can handle myself most of the time with a player that has a ping under 100. I know I should have the advantage but I don't. I find it is hard to play against players that have a ping so high. Any ideas? I have my fps at 125.
Not quite sure why you're getting owned by players with ping over 200, unless you're just suffering from poor registration...I get that some days too, Where it seems like they're lagging more than me to a point where the place I'm shooting isn't the place that they're standing. I dont really do anything different when playing against players with higher ping so I don't know what to tell you :/
Not quite sure why youre getting owned by players with ping over 200, unless youre just suffering from poor registration...I get that some days too, Where it seems like theyre lagging more than me to a point where the place Im shooting isn't the wrote:

Fierce, do you know how to fix these registration hit points? I've been having these problems every time I start playing COD using the "hotspot"
*Note: I can only play COD during the weekdays using the "hotspot" ..

Don't quote my quotes!

WiFi or mobile connection signals are sent in pulses so this issue u speak of will always be there, if that didn't make sense drop a rock into a bucket and see the ripples form, that is what ur "hotspot" is doing to REDUCE the issue turn down ur graphics in the settings option in cod.