Net-Jam

mostly harmless victim kick

I'm not sure where to bring this up exactly, but since I was kicked, I thought maybe here.

I was kicked because of an interaction with a guy who has been following me around copying my name. I don't think I've ever played on Net-Jam as anything but "mostly harmless". I've played at Regenesis for most of a year as "mostly harmless". I played for five years at Server Bob (RIP) where I was an admin as "mostly harmless". One day this guy shows up at Regenesis and chats with me, very friendly, but at some point in the game he changes his name to "mostly harmless". I laughed. But then he kept doing it. Regenesis has a policy against impersonating people, so when I pointed it out they warned him. He kept coming back with my name and pretending to be me. I think they may have banned him in the end, as I haven't seen him there since I informed them that he was still impersonating me even after the warning.

So today, I am playing on Net-Jam and this guy shows up as "mostly harmless". His usual M.O. is to show up and say, "Hey, you copied my name!", or something like that, which is galling of course since he's the thief. I ignored him at first but then he kept doing it and so I eventually said, "fuck off". I was warned for this, which is fine. I've been dealing with this jerk for months so I think you can understand my testy response. Anyway, the other guy wouldn't let up. He kept saying things to needle me. I told the admin there that he'd been following me around copying me, that I think he's been banned on another server for this. I told him that I would provide details if he wanted, but otherwise I was just going to ignore him. And I did. I didn't say another word. But the guy copying me kept blathering on. Eventually I was kicked with reason "Annoying". I don't know if the admin kicked both of us, or kicked me thinking I was the last guy who spoke (I wasn't), or just doesn't care. If the latter, well.. it's a bit disappointing if there is no concern over what is really going on. In any case I agree that it was annoying, very annoying. But I'm the victim here, not the perp. It would have been nice if there was some effort to get to the bottom of it. Or, if that's too much effort, make BOTH of us change our names on this server, or something other than punishing the victim. Even some clear direction about what the admin expected would have been nice.

Anyway, my main reason for posting this is to let it be known that someone is maliciously impersonating me. From what I've seen of his behavior, there is every chance he will intentionally try to make my name look bad in game. If you ever have any doubt which one of us is on, me or the name-thief, it is easy to tell: my ping will be < 100, maybe as low as 30. His will be > 100. Also, my score will usually be positive, probably 1.5-2.0 ratio positive. His will be crap.

P.S. It has crossed my mind that it could be a coincidence, but I'm sure it isn't because this guy has an irritating M.O. that is pretty identifiable...
Hey Harmless,

It seems you've really annoyed someone from Melbourne, AU ("Abhi" or "Vaeg" sound familiar?). We've had similar situations before, and as you're a long standing regular we've made sure he won't be bothering you anymore.

We appreciate you bringing it to our attention, and I assure you the kick was mistaken identity. If you should ever run into him again just let us know.

G1

""Don't quote my quotes!" - Fruits" - Rattle

I was the one who kicked you, was a kick only. I was also tring to figure out the other person. seems Gryph has a better idea who it maybe, I ment to ill will in that boot, I am sorry., and hope this sheds some light on the matter
Yes, "Vaeg", that's the name I originally met him under. I don't know why he's pursued this tack. He seemed nice enough when I met him and I'm not aware of any altercations we had that would set him off. In fact, he acted more like a groupie than someone who had an ax to grind with me, until I asked him to stop using my name, then it went downhill rapidly. I don't harbor any ill will towards him, I just don't want him impersonating me.

In any case, whatever is going on with that guy, thanks for looking into it! I know that the pay is not great for this kind of work ;-), so I always consider any effort you put in as a favor, for which I am grateful.

Also, MRFUZZY, I hope I didn't sound more annoyed with the kick than I was. I knew it was just a kick and so hardly worth mentioning. I was mainly annoyed with the impersonator and some of that irritation may have spilled over into the tone of my post here. I thought about rejoining, but I though that would just add to the confusion, so I decided to call it a night and post about the issue here instead. But really, I'd rather you kick someone, including me, than nothing be done about an out-of-hand situation. So thanks for being there.

~ Mostly Harmless
No problem. Having some fun for a map or two is fine but we do our best to stop persistent and annoying trolling. As I said, if you should run into him again on our servers just let us know.

I actually came across a person just tonight who thinks we get paid for this. lol

G1

""Don't quote my quotes!" - Fruits" - Rattle