Net-Jam

what lap top should i get?

hey guys my mac has finally died and now i need to get a new computer.
Just wondering if anyone knows a good laptop to get that will not cost more than $1400. Has to be able to handle graphic design aswell

Send nudes

""""Don't quote my quotes!" - Fruits" - Rattle" - Gryphus_1" - Quesadios

Msi's new gaming laptops are pretty sick and within your price range.

Here's one I'd recommend. It would absolutely eat cod4 and other AAA games for lunch. Was reading the feedback and a guy said he was playing evolve with no problems. On top of that, you have room to put a SSD in and the new fancy RGB color switches for your keyboard. It's a powerhouse that doesn't weigh near as much as an Asus or alienware.

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=34-152-711

Or

http://m.newegg.com/Product?ItemNumber=34-152-738&iscoz=true

iKMPQ1X.png

bLZiz52.png.ca67a5c2473e48d690a2bd9dcb31c9ca.png

I've just realized since I was on my phone when I posted those links it was to their mobile site. For some reason I can't load them on my PC.

Here are the correct links & a little more info.

i7, GTX 965M, 8gb ram, 1tb hard drive. You can put a good SSD in here and expect about 5-6 second boot times. Solid laptop especially for the price. My guess is you'll be running 80% of your games on high-ultra without a problem depending on what you're playing. This should have no problem running most games out there right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152711&cm_re=msi_gaming_laptop-_-34-152-711-_-Product

This is basically the same laptop but with 16GB of ram and a 17.3" display.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152738&cm_re=msi_gaming_laptop-_-34-152-738-_-Product

iKMPQ1X.png

If i were to get an i5 with 2gb dedicated graphics and 500gb ssd would that work as well or better than an i7 with 2gb dedicated graphics and a 1tb hdd?

Send nudes

My apologies for linking newegg NA links instead of Australian. I had no idea where you were from lol.

That laptop would run CoD4, but I will point out that the i7 in there is a dual core. Yeah, if you didn't know they put dual core i7's in laptops, now you know lol. If you can save up the money, I'd highly recommend waiting a little longer to get a better quality product. I'm not sure how much the MSI laptops I linked would be in Australian dollars, but I wouldn't recommend buying something cheaper that may or may not be what you're looking for.

Are you absolutely needing a laptop or can you build your own desktop? You would get far more performance per dollar than you would with a laptop.

iKMPQ1X.png

Yeah the problem with MSI computers in australia is that they start at about $1800 for their lowest quality one

Send nudes

MOST i7's are quad cores. To my knowledge, they have only recently been putting dual core i7's into ultrabooks (laptops). It basically means that a laptop processor that already runs slower than it would in a desktop is even worse.

With this being said, MOST programs and games are only optimized to use 1-2 cores. Newer games coming out are using more than 2 cores.

It really comes down to if you want a quick fix now that will allow you to play CoD4 and some lower end or older games, or if you want to play BF3/BF4 or other new releases on top of CoD4. If you're wanting to play newer games, save for an actual gaming laptop.

I'm not saying that the laptop you linked is terrible, because it will run games for sure. I'm just saying that it's going to be struggling with newer games out there that require more power.

iKMPQ1X.png

wrote:
If i were to go with a desktop and had a budget of 1350. Would i be able to get a good one?

I'm not familiar with the pricing in Australia. With a $1350 AUD budget, I'm assuming that would be around $1100 US (google conversion).

If the prices of computer components aren't inflated in Australia, yes, I'm assuming you would be able to build quite a nice computer.

I would NOT recommend buying a prebuilt PC. It's extremely easy to learn how to build your own and depending on if your friends know how to do it, they may be able to help you out. I taught myself by watching youtube videos. The price to performance ratio of building your own vs buying a prebuilt is really not negotiable unless something limits you from doing it. It's much more worth it to build one.

iKMPQ1X.png

Cypher -don't get a Gaming Toshiba - they are notorious for overheating.

The Dell/Alienware suggestions were good. I usually use a desktop but when I head over to a couple friends houses for LANs or travel out of town for work, I feel right at home using my Asus G750JM laptop. Video card is an 860M. It cost me around $1200 US. I like that it has 2 drive bays underneath, expansion memory slots all easy to get to. I swapped the 1TB HDD it came with for a 500GB Samsung SSD - Samsung SSD came with nice migration SW that made transferring the OS easy, didn't care about drive capacity difference (as long as all data on the 1TB totalled to be 500GB or <. Then I made the 1TB the data drive - installing games like Skyrim on the SSD, then games like Poke a Mole onto the data drive. I also put in 16GB more memory to get 24GB total which was just a power play from my end, dorkified since I think it still ran great with the SSD and just the 8GB it came with. I love the laptop - especially the rear exhuasts and just the overall high quality look and feel to it. Performs great and the temps stay pretty cool.

Good luck with that purchase!

Turbo
Cypher,

Almost forgot to mention - CyberPower PC has come up the ranks over the last couple years.
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/landingpages/FangbookIII/

Almost 6 years ago, I got lazy and bought one of their ready-to-game Desktop PCs. It ran great for years - I actually still use the original case though I've changed out the entire guts by now. I have not owned one of their gaming laptops but would consider it if I were in the market to get one again.

Turbs
wrote:
Cypher, do you have a monitor? I'm working on a wishlist for the newegg Australian site.

Also, would you need a headset, mouse, or keyboard?
Yeah i have a few headsets i dont have a monitor but do have a large tv in my room and dont have a mouse or keyboard

Send nudes

Take a look at this, Cypher. I went ahead and sped through newegg's australian site and came up with this. It's about $60 underbudget. Does not come with a mouse, keyboard, monitor, or headset. All the other parts needed to build a PC are there. To be honest, we could upgrade/downgrade some stuff if you'd like too. This is just to give you a rough idea of what you'd be getting if you were to build your own.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=27379185

Parts:
i5-4570 (perfect for gaming)
GTX 960 2GB
250GB Crucial SSD
1TB Western Digital Black
Fractal Design R5 case (lots of room to expand, sound dampening is good, watercooling support)
Corsair 600w power supply
8GB ram (could probably even go to 16 if you wanted with the extra $60ish leftover)
ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO motherboard
A pretty nice Noctua cpu cooler to keep the processor nice and cool

iKMPQ1X.png

Thanks for that myth. that really is helpful. if i end up running with this spec i will most likely see you guys in game next week

Send nudes