Net-Jam

Deleting Ambient noises

Fruits

Alright gentlemen, the intention of this thread was to discuss, not teach. So let's keep it at that eh?

Personally, I see this as no more of an advantage than lowering settings in-game, cranking the base system side, changing the brightness or even sound whoring in general. Yes it's physically modifying the game to gain an advantage, which is why it's not really something I think we should condone much-less teach. But by that same coin, this type of stuff happens. You could call it "legal cheating" but that point can be argued all day.

G1

""Don't quote my quotes!" - Fruits" - Rattle

Yes, as Gryphus has mentioned let's discuss more.
It is really good to see "pros" and "cons" side, which is really intriguing.
Special applause to Tigr for his opinion, and I would like to know more on other peoples' ideals.
My opinion is nay, same as Tigr and Kovic, yet this will really give advantage to those who have "state of the art" headphones.
Whereas, most of us will use a $ 10~50 headphones, am I right?

Don't quote my quotes!

Ya, I'd have to agree with TIGR because it really depends on the players skill level to have an unfair advantage. Personally, I don't mind other people using it because I've gotten use to people sound whoring. As for my headset, I use the one that came with my iPhone. Normally, I can't tell what direction an enemy is based on sound, but I can tell if they're close by, which keeps me on alert.

Gryphus makes a good point too. Whether it's cheating or not It can be argued all day. If you're an amazing player you don't need it. Good intuition, strategic planning, quick reflexes, and a good connection is all you need to be an amazing player. Be like water my friends. ;-)
  • 2 weeks later...
Unforunately I missed this whole conversation while I was gone for a week so I haven't had a chance to try it. This topic is like the great firewall of Gryphus now so oh well I guess.

My thoughts, though - there's a slippery slope here as far as what constitutes an advantage. An fps of 250+ allows you to get places others can't/move in a way others can't. A high resolution lets people have an advantage at farther distances, see what others can't see. A good ping can be an advantage in certain cases. As can a bad one. Maxpacket and packetdup settings can affect hit registration. Lowering some graphics settings can make bush cover near nonexistent.

There are so many ways to gain an advantage in the game.

If we wanted to make it as equal as possible, we'd have to implement standardized packet settings at the very least.

Personally, I don't even notice the ambient sounds, but I do see the appeal in getting rid of them. The argument could be made we're getting to some sort of purer playing experience without ambient sounds, etc etc.

Bottom line, though, is this doesn't seem enforceable without punkbuster (right?). If it's not enforceable, as per game theory, you have to assume someone will use it and thus it should be fair game. It's kind of like camping in that sense.