Net-Jam

Deleting Ambient noises

Fruits

So, I found out a way to get rid of the nasty fog and the ambient noises on the background in cod.

Ambient noises meaning all those MGs and artillery sounds in the background.

Is it okay to do this?

This helps me hear those who r using dead silence easier.

And for those nasty fogs and darkness in the map, I used a command in the console.

Again, is this okay to do so?

Don't quote my quotes!

I've been playing with no ambient sounds for almost a year. I completely forgot about them until I heard them on Fuzzy's mic. Happened when I joined a promod server and apparently reinstalling the game doesn't fix it. Never seen the fog one, does it effect smoke too?
I over exagerated on the smoke fog part lol
R_drawdecal ...never knew such a good
Command existed till yesterday.
Currently, Ive switched back to the original with ambient noises.
Thanks for your opinions mil and ruth.
Still waiting on others!

Don't quote my quotes!

Great discovery, Fruits. I'm all for using it too. The only drawback may be the fact that it would make gameplay hyper sound sensitive and could discourage casual players who are not as competitive. The skill level on this server is already very high. Do we want to make it even more demanding for the average player? Too many sound based kills would drive less skilled players away.

Boards

You have to [REDACTED]. This basically makes all that ambient info inaccessible while the game is running. Check with the server admins before doing this as it may be considered an unfair advantage. Hence the above discussion.

Gryphus_1

Boards

Did you expand the contents of that [REDACTED] should be there somewhere even on a Mac. You could also ask someone else in the server who plays with a Mac if they can see it on their machine. Other than that, get a real computer, lol! Just kidding.

Gryphus_1

Boards

Hi Johnston,

When people are telling you what specific code to use as a computer data entry, you will sometimes see quotation marks ("word") on either side of a word or phrase. You should only use the word or words between these marks. The marks themselves are not part of the code.

When you do find the [REDACTED] Don't use the quotes, lol. Hope this helps.

Boards

Gryphus_1

Boards

I had no idea you could do this. There are console commands that can be used to gain unfair advantages and those are questionable at best, but modifying the game to gain an advantage like this is cheating in my opinion. Changing a [REDACTED] to intentionally deny the game access to certain files really crosses a line.

Gryphus_1

Regenesis Clan Director | TIGRCS on Origin, Steam, and XFire

I am not sure of all the [REDACTED] thing. If this is in fact an okay thing to do so would scrolling your fire? I on,y drop the smoke to lowest or off wall markers and such as in the game options nothing more. If we were competing changing files would be considered a cheat. non of us here would do a cheat intentionally and we police those who are cheating. If you all in the higher ups think it is okay to change the files, please fell free to do so,

Gryphus_1
Good points Tigr and Fuzzy. Do we then agree that unless ALL players are using this in game, it must be considered an unfair advantage and should be disallowed in public matches?

Sorry, Fruits. I wanted to try it at least once. Perhaps in a private match where everyone can use it.

Boards

I personally don't mind if players want to try and delete ambient noises, but I would not recommend it, and I would not like to see our Admins start using it.

I don't think any NJA should use this because of the very point TIG raises, and that is, some people consider it gains an unfair advantage and is cheating, or modding. Anyone doing this will forever have a question mark over their head as to what else they've "modded" or "experimented" with to try and gain an advantage.

There's so many sounds during a game that I don't feel it would be a huge advantage, and anyone who uses TeamSpeak knows the level of chat also makes it impossible to really use sound to it's full potential. Not all players use TS, but even so, I don't think getting rid of the MG sounds you hear in the background will make a difference - except in a 1Vs1 match.

Point being it would not be a good idea for our admins to make players question what "other changes" they've made, it would quickly tarnish reputations and drive people away.

~ salad(s)

I also did not know this was possible to do.... I also will not be choosing to do this, and I am on TIGR with this one. Its a part of the game, its not meant to be adjusted, and obviously there are many out there that do not know about this.

For me its a matter of personal conviction, I can't change something like this knowing that most others don't even know about it. In a way you are purposely sabotaging someone else by doing this.

If you really think about it, its obvious that this is a very unfair advantage.

But its also something we cannot regulate, so really, its just an indicator of ones character, honesty, and integrity.

kov
When I posted earlier, I had no idea how much of an advantage this would realistically provide and was only basing my opinion on the intent and procedure behind it. Now I've tried it myself because I thought maybe I was being too harsh.

The first map I played was Crash and I was blown away. The actual noise difference itself is subtle, but that subtle difference has a significant impact on gameplay. This was also true for Crossfire and a few other maps. On Wet Work, (still has high ambient noise), I don't think there's any advantage. On others, I wasn't sure (might have been getting used to it by that point).

I anticipated the advantage would be nullified in maps with many players, but that didn't prove entirely true. With 25 players in our TDM server, between bursts of noise, I noticed approaching enemies I think I would have missed without it. In our Mix server, I noticed that this provides an even greater advantage for objectives-based gametypes which tend to be less chaotic and more cautiously played.

Over the course of the day, I've been able to achieve double my usual KDR and higher total scores. However, I don't think there'd be any advantage for a newer player, or anyone with quiet speakers or a loud playing environment.

Overall, my impression is that this provides anywhere from no advantage to a major advantage depending on the player, playing environment, map, and server status. For noobs, no advantage. Competitive and well-equipped players, major advantage under some conditions. Although I know of no way to detect it, on principle I'll put this in the same category as wallhacks and aimbots at Regenesis. It's less effective but I think equally wrong.

Regenesis Clan Director | TIGRCS on Origin, Steam, and XFire