Net-Jam

video card

Crush

i turned my comp off last night cause it was running sluggish and was going to just let it chill over night, well when i went to turn it on this morning, i heard the most awful grinding noise and ripped off the side of the computer to find out what it was, i touched the fan on my GPU and realized it was making the noise. I have a HIS Radeon HD 4670 that I just realized that I had for 2 years now. I am going to try cleaning it and see if that helps, if not, I am not sure when i will be able to get a new card.

What do yall think

Crush834.png

The bearings in the fan could be shot. Or it might be full of dust. I had this happen to a power supply fan a few years ago. I blasted the fan with 100psi from an air compressor and the fan worked perfect for another year. If you try the compressed air route, you'll need an actual air compressor. Compressed air cans may not do the job.

Cheers
If you blast the fan with compressed air, place a screwdriver or something else in the fan to stop it from spinning.

Compressed air through a fan can make it spin way above it's design spec and can turn it into a small generator and generating overvoltage to the motherboard which can damage components.
Well I tried blowing it out to get all the dust off the fan and it make it look a lot cleaner but the fan is still shaking and making a noise. I got to looking at the card and the fan doesn't come off without taking it off the you itself and I don't have any thermal paste sitting around.

Also when I turned my computer back on after I cleaned it, a message popped up saying a system fan has stopped working even though I was looking into my case at the time of the message and everything was spinning

Crush834.png

The fan should unscrew, if you have a local pc repair store or shop they might be able to match it up if they have a pre used card that no longer works etc.
If you do remove the card to unscrew the fan, earth yourself to get rid of static and don't touch any of the elecronics or the circuit board, static electricity will kill the onboard memory real quick.

It's worth a try. Then again maybe time for an upgrade [EMOJI:https://resources.enjin.com/1489581540/themes/core/images/emojione/svg/1f44d.svg?0]