Net-Jam

Respawn timer?

hey,

can the killstreak timer be turned down to 0? probably wouldn't make a big neg diff ~ just thinking, that would make speccing players much easier. i think if you spec someone and they die and immediately regenerate, you still end up speccing them.

just your friendly neighborhood Net-Jam C4 champion ;-]
xfire:mleecho

I'm assuming you meant to say respawn timer instead of killstreak timer in your post since it's the title of your topic...

I doubt that this would happen, because our server has killcam turned on, and it's not about to go anywhere. Also, it's not like it's this obscenely difficult task to spectate people. You only have to click a few times to find them again :p Appreciate the input, though.
Oh yeah...sorry about that!, fierce I am getting my terms mixed up. I don't think it would conflict with killcam being on though, would it? It isn't obscenely difficult, yes, but it's pretty annoying. On a populated server where a potential hacker is getting into a little death streak, it can (and has) made getting a demo nigh impossible. By the time you find him again, he's often dead.

So even with killcam turned on, players often skip it and respawn fairly quickly anyway. However, if they don't skip the killcam, and the respawn timer is 0, you still remain spectating the guy, am I wrong? ergh, I'm not really expressing this to clearly, haha :p

So what you're saying is that for players who spam their F or whatever they set their "use" key to respawn right after being killed, if they are being spectated then it would allow us to stick to them without clicking around and such? I think that 1 second delay is actually unavoidable by the game. Even in other servers I've played on that didn't have killcam, they always had like a 1 or 2 second respawn time. I'm not too sure about that one, though.
I think what I'm saying is with a Respawn Timer of 0, then even with killcams turned on, even if players watch the whole thing, spectators would be locked onto them. But...............I don't know if that's true or not. I have the idea from somewhere that it is, and I can't totally remember where I got that idea. Probably talking to someone long ago.

maybe someone who knows better can fill us in?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I use "playerrespawndelay -1" at Regenesis for insta-respawns in Domination, FFA, and TDM. Setting it to -1 provides instant respawns, except with Killcam in which case there's still a delay but, like Fierce suggested, if the player you're speccing spams the use key you will remain speccing that player. However, IIRC you will lose the player you're speccing if they don't skip Killcam. I do very much like the insta-respawns since it can prevent an admin from missing a good bit of action, so you can capture more in a demo or take action more quickly. However, I'm in the habit of clicking to the next player as soon as whoever I'm speccing dies, and then alternately left- and right-clicking to get back to that players once he's respawned.

Regenesis Clan Director | TIGRCS on Origin, Steam, and XFire