Net-Jam

Question to NJ admins and moderators or maybe it's an idea in the form of a question??? idea...

Or maybe there's ultimately one decision maker now, sad that I don't know by now lol

Anyway, have any of you ever thought about changing the server over to running a hybrid map rotation? Like a combination of the BEST set of official, COD official remakes, and custom maps? Maybe have it alternate for example, offical map >> custom map >> remade map >> official >> custom etc.. limited to 7 of each for a nice 21 map total rotation. When I say 'remake' I mean official COD maps that were a part of other COD games that have been converted to play on cod4.

I was playing on the killing crew's server (Best of COD maps or something) the other night and really enjoyed playing some of their collection of maps. They have a nice voting booth at the end of each round that was pretty snazzy too. I don't know about running COD4 servers but it looks like they were using openwarfare mod.

Turbo
In order to play on custom maps in CoD4 you have to download and run a mod of some sort. We currently have no intentions of adding mods to the current Net-Jam (Hardcore) CoD4 server. However, with that said, note that we are not opposed to the idea of hosting a modded server in addition to the existing server.

Will you list some of your favorite custom maps?

Lunar-1.png

• 2 weeks later...
Excellent. Thank you, Turbo. I've played mp_toujane and mp_chateau I think. The rest I haven't. Do you have a copy of these maps on your computer that you could upload? I've noticed a lot of CoD4 community data has been lost over the years. Modsonline used to have a lot more tutorials and files, and now it's much smaller.

Lunar-1.png

wrote:
Excellent. Thank you, Turbo. I've played mp_toujane and mp_chateau I think. The rest I haven't. Do you have a copy of these maps on your computer that you could upload? I've noticed a lot of CoD4 community data has been lost over the years. Modsonline used to have a lot more tutorials and files, and now it's much smaller.

http://www.moddb.com/games/call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare/addons/cod4-toujane

https://gamebanana.com/maps/49049

iKMPQ1X.png

bLZiz52.png.ca67a5c2473e48d690a2bd9dcb31c9ca.png

Ah Lunar, I have been remiss in providing you with my map list and it was actually Yoshi who provided the nice list. I am also so bad with names and map names are no exception - would you believe it took me years to remember the main official COD4 map names? :)

mp_dust2_classic
mp_siege
mp_pripyat
mp_village
mp_vukovar
mp_cargo
mp_roof
mp_docks

Just to name a few. A lot of these are on gamebanana. I also like how the other server is playing converted maps from the other COD games, thought that was pretty neat. Not sure where to get those concerted maps from other than maybe downloading them as they are loaded in from that other server. Once a custom map list is finalized, would probably make sense to make it a bundle zip for people to grab off google drive or media fire or some free download/file sharing site.

I played one the other day that reminded me of you Lunar, called mp_luna2. That one would be very fun, but probably not practical as you get low G, a pad that jets you around like a space ship and the uniforms are all space suits. LOL!
Before this process starts, I'd like to share my experience with custom maps in an old game I used to play. TL:DR at bottom. Details/thoughts in middle. I apologize for the length of this in advance.

Way back when, throughout the mid-late 2000s, I used to play a game called BHD. BHD had 50 man servers and had a custom map maker tool included; anyone could make a map. It was included with the base game and to be honest, it was pretty far ahead of it's time. You want to tilt a certain structure to a certain degree and add structures to it to create a custom feel to the building? Go for it. You want to make a sniping map thats several thousand kilometers long? Go for it. You had multiple terrain types to choose from. Anywhere from flat terrain to mountains (sort of). The list goes on. They were HIGHLY customizable.

Anywho, to my point. Custom maps made BHD fun to play for a lot of people. But the stock maps were mostly ignored for a lot of servers. Teams made their own maps and shared them, sort of like putting their name out there. There were a lot of popular custom maps you could download, sort of like on gamebanana but on a site called deltahq and a few others. A lot of these custom maps were not balanced properly and ruined the experience for the people who enjoyed the balance and scale of the stock maps. The "BHD" feel wasn't there with a lot of custom maps. Not to mention when there was a scrim or match between two teams, no one had any idea how to play the stock maps. Green, blue, red, or purple fog in a map gets old after the 3rd or 4th time you play it in a row. I much preferred the stock BHD maps over thousands of custom maps, although there were some gems. I remember some sniping maps made by a guy named Dragon. He created about 15-20 maps and they were all fantastic.

TL:DR- I think it's important to maintain the integrity of the stock CoD4 feel. There's a lot of people with different tastes and to have our server empty when a certain map comes on wouldn't be good in the current state of the game right now. I think we should really go over these maps and cherry pick the ones we like most. I know we're not going to have purple fog and stuff, but regardless, I think most people who continue to play CoD4 enjoy it because of the stock feel. No one wants to go into a super complicated custom map and not know where to go or what to do. I understand there will be trial and error, but this will probably be an ongoing process for a couple months after we add in a few.

iKMPQ1X.png

To be perfectly clear here, Hardcore isn't changing nor will it. The map and mod suggestions are purely for a second server (possibly two) that I've been thinking about. One a bit more in-line with what you would expect, and the other being various mods.

G1

""Don't quote my quotes!" - Fruits" - Rattle

wrote:
To be perfectly clear here, Hardcore isn't changing nor will it. The map and mod suggestions are purely for a second server (possibly two) that I've been thinking about. One a bit more in-line with what you would expect, and the other being various mods.

G1

Thanks for clearing that up Gryph.

iKMPQ1X.png