Net-Jam

If you Owned the NJ COD server, what changes would you make?

TurboX

If you owned the NJ COD server, what changes would you make?
*NOTE* This will not actually perpetuate any changes to the game server.

This is what I would do:
(1) Add two more good maps, 1 for the snipers and 1 for the rushers
*I know this was requested ad nauseum just recently. So let me re-word this to say, I would make the changes to make sure 2 more maps have a good chance of coming up at least as often as the ones that always seem to come up now - based on server pop.

(2) Disable rocket launcher. Let's face it, there are some guys thart will abuse the use of rocket launchers, especially something I noticed when it doesn't look like any admins are online. 3 frags, sonic boom, and noob toobs are already disabled, so why not bring it all the home!?

(3) Change it so that death cam is no longer played after you die. This gives the position of the enemy away and is especially annoying if said enemy is trying to be stealthy by using silenced weaps, dead silence, silenced pistol, etc. If using it to see what a suspected hacker is doing, you should actually be in spec and recording a demo (within reason of course since the rule is to not be afk for too long)

(4) Assuming death cam is disabled, replace it with a 3 second spawn timer so that a dead player cannot just respawn in right away. The timing of the death cam made it nice to stagger in respawns at least. Also - still have the current option to not respawn right away for obvious reasons.

(5) But, while dead - disable the ability to cycle through players that are currently on the OTHER team. Be able to cycle through same team members though.

In its entirety, I think my proposed changes would increase the awesomeness of the current NJ server settings yet make for a more fair and balanced game. In its current form, the current server settings favors the speedy gonzalez players that can speed cycle through all the players to know where all the enemies are or are coming from.

Would like to hear what changes other players always desired. I'd say Be Realistic and don't say things like disable claymores or disable shotgun... Besides, I don't think this thread will cause CHANGE so don't worry about it. LOL

Turbo
  • 2 weeks later...
I think the admins do a great job, represent dude! Anyway, noticed a couple maps appearing then suddenly they're not anymore. (?? algorithm again). I'm done asking about the maps anymore but one thing I currently see as a double standard is the use of the rocket launcher. I've seen some players use the hell out of them while certain admins are on and playing while other times and I can name recent names of the players over-using them but will not. The "double standards" I see is that some of the other admins will spank or tell a player to not use the rocket launchers. So from my perception, NJ is not unified in their view of the usage of this. Therefore, the sure way to solve this is to simply disable rocket launchers since it only takes a handful of gun fire to down a copter, there's really no other reason to have them enabled?

But if they are enabled and some of the admins are OK with it, then I think I'm going to start using them whenever I deem it necessary to use them - whether that's frequently or rarely. Maybe more frequently if the other opposing side is heavier with campers - so I can root them out of their nests. I just don't think it's right to have such a gray stance on this - it's either OK to use, no matter the frequency or get rid of them entirely.
YA I know what you mean, but that's life with a decades old game - the admins like their shiny new games. Something about the survival in all of us - wants to practice surviving or some chit.... lol

Anyway, I think at least one has been on lately, at least whenever I'm on... But reporting with demo attached has been working great, so we get a delayed ban at least... RIP vomit for example (and I didn't report that one either lol)
WELL I AM GOING TO START ASKING IF WE CAN REMOVE RPG. IF NOT ARE WE ONE WAY OR ANOTHER ON THE RULES IN THE SERVER. I SEEM TO GET INTO ARGUMENTS ON WHAT SEEMS USE TO BE A RULE BUT IT IS A GREY AREA. AND SOME PEOPLE COME IN AND ACT LIKE AN ASS NO MATTER HOW MANY TIME I ASK.. SO WHAT IS THE VERDICT ON RPG?
Make no changes. It isn't broke. Don't "fix" it.

This server has been going a long time. Lots of people still show up. Lots of servers make changes and die.

On RPGs, I think they should remain. They are tons of fun and, unlike tubes, not really a way to run up one's score. Almost the only reason to play Bloc is the fun of knocking out a sniper nest with an RPG. Of course, I know some people hate fun, so I acknowledge their feelings here too.

The "rules" about RPGs need to be clearer, though, starting with maybe actually mentioning it in !rules. I've only ever heard of this "No RPG as primary" rule in chat, and that from only one, maaaaybe two, people, usually separated by weeks or months. So I wasn't even sure it was a real rule and not someone pulling my leg. That's not a good status for a "rule". Can't blame people for not following rules that don't show up in !rules (I haven't checked in the last couple of weeks, but last time I checked it said nada about RPGs). Just mentioning any RPG restrictions in !rules would be a great start and might, by itself, reduce RPG usage to a level that is tolerable to those people who hate fun. ;-)

I confess that I don't know what "Primary" really means, and I have no idea whether my typical RPG usage would violate this "rule" or not. I'm not being obtuse, it's legit vague. First use? More RPG kills than gun? No running with the RPG? Making a point to use both RPGs? Using an RPG on someone who isn't hidden around a corner? At the moment it seems to be at the level of: "Are too using it as Primary" "Am not" "Are too". I don't want to flaunt the rules, but I also don't want to needlessly forgo fun.

But, above all, don't "fix" the server. It isn't broken.

(P.S. Lately I change my alias all the time because it amuses me, so even though I play almost every day you probably haven't seen mostly harmless in a while. Hope there isn't an unwritten rule about that. Today I was "dead again", and lately a whole bunch of names that are twisted versions of regular player names, Llamest Llama <==> WonderLlama,BestestBunny, Terror Pancake<==> Freedom Waffle, etc.)